Sunday, March 31, 2013

HEY BIG SPENDER

Spend a little time with me.


As you may have noticed reading my first two blog posts, I'm a student. When it comes to my planning there isn't much time left to work and earn money. I'm actually busy enough studying, being social and going to the gym (yes I do that sometimes!). My parents help me out and I get some kind of student loan, so that should be enough. But here's the problem: I am TERRIBLE at budgeting. I do write down what I need to buy when I get my money, I try to make some kind of plan. And, I have to tell you, on paper it looks SO GOOD! It just never turns out that way for some reason.

I have some savings on a separate account, but those are meant for my trip to Thailand this summer. Yes, you read that right, I'm going on a packpack trip to Thailand this summer. I'll be traveling trough Thailand for 6 weeks with some friends. Maybe I'll write an entire post on that subject later, but for now I should get back to my money problem.
When, one week ago, I again had a lot of month left at the end of my money (see what I did there?) I had to take some money from my Thailand-account. I mean, I had to eat and pay my rent right!? But nevertheless I got really angry with myself. So this month I'm going to do things totally different.

Here's my plan:
1. Write a realistic list of what you spend your money on and how much it'll cost (you can't eat for only €15,- a week!)
2. Make sure you have €40,- left at the end of the month in you budget plan, that way you can pay for any unexpected expenses (like getting new locks because you lost your key AND spare key).
3. Go shopping for clothes at the end of the month, so you can see how much money is left. That way you avoid spending way more than you can afford.
4. No more restaurant meals! Or at least, keep them to one per month.
5. When it comes to food, buy only what you need and eliminate excess spending. (No, you don’t have to be an extreme couponer to save money on food costs!)


Hopefully it'll go better from now on: I'll keep you updated!



No comments:

Post a Comment